Goodbye ISO 29990,
Hello new opportunities
The future landscape of ISO standards for education & training
ISO 29990, Learning Services for basic and further training – Basic requirements for Service provider was published in 2010 to provide a common guideline for learning service providers at the Conception, development, and implementation of learning services beyond formal education.
ISO 29990 consists of elements that relate both to those provided by the service provider
Learning services relate to elements of the management system to support the Processes of the educational institution.
Given the complexity and diversity of the global market for learning services ISO published in 2017 the newcomer standard ISO 29993 to provide minimum requirements for learning services.
At the same time, ISO 21001 was developed in order to have its own management system standard.
Educational institutions that deal with the provision of learning services on the one hand, and on the other hand, if you want to implement management system standards, more flexibility should be offered.
This new range of standards, therefore, offers new opportunities for education and training institutions.
ISO / TC 232 distinguishes norms and standards in the field of education in the following three pillars:
- The first pillar is management system standards, the requirements for the entire management of an educational institution. Organizations are and will be in the ISO High-Level-Structure (HLS) created to a simple and uniform application and combination of different standards and enable standards. Organizations can use them alone or in combination with other norms and standards to be applied.
- The second pillar is service standards, the requirements for a certain service
define. They can be used alone or in combination with other norms and standards
will. Service standards can ideally be integrated into existing management systems
and replace, for example, sections of a management system standard.
- The third pillar is component standards, the extended requirements or definitions
provide. They can also be combined with all other norms and standards but can also be used alone. Component standards of ISO / TC 232 can be used as additional
Information from educational institutions can be used.
The following service standards are available:
– ISO 29993: 2017, Learning Services outside formal education – service requirements, focus on educational services in the general sense.
– ISO 29991: 2014, Language Learning Services for training and further education – requirements, is aimed at organizations that offer language courses exclusively or in addition.
– ISO 29994, Learning Services outside formal education – Additional requirements for Distance Learning (under development).
The above standards can be combined with the following new standards, which are partly still in development and the various components of learning services.
– ISO 29992: 2018, evaluation of the results of learning services – recommendations for implementation.
The focus of this standard is on evaluating learning outcomes. It’s not a certification standard.
– ISO 29995, Learning Services Outside Formal Education – Terminology (under development).
This draft standard is designed to help organizations understand the terms and definitions of learning services facilitate.
The following ISO standard focuses on a management system that is developed specifically to the education sector:
– ISO 21001, Educational organizations – Management systems for educational organizations requirements with instructions for use, specifies requirements for the management system with a view to the specific requirements of a variety of educational institutions have been formulated.
This standard follows the “High-Level Structure” (HLS) of ISO for management system standards and is, therefore, easier to use in conjunction with other ISO management system standards.
More information at www.iso.org/committee/537864.html
Contact me and book a strategic meeting to discuss the details. Free of charge.